Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Episode 1 Discussion
06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion
(06-11-2009 05:32 PM)almh Wrote:  I'll be interested to see what happens with Nico - I'm undecided about whether he should stay or not...

And someone made a comment about Ruth being honest and enjoying having a normal life (sorry, I think it's about a page back and I can't remember who it was!) - I totally agree. She always was lonely (which we were quite clearly told in the episode with Forrestal,) and it does make sense that she would enjoy being loved by someone and having a family. I just wonder if she ever really could love George back, or if her heart (still) belonged to Harry.

I don't think I'll like Nico being around but you never know... It seems sensible that he returns with her biological mother, but we don't know anything about her... perhaps she's dead...Undecided

I don't think she married him because she loved him, I mean there was something between them but not real love, but Ruth made the decision to move on, as she was supposed not to see Harry again... I'm sure she still loves Harry (I'm not very sure this is what I think or what I want to Tongue)

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I, too, think Ruth stills loves Harry. Her first words to Malcolm are "How is he" (Harry). Not "my family and I are in serious danger", or "what have you people done to have them come after me", or even "find us a new safe place NOW." In the midst of sudden turmoil that has turned her safe, elegant life upside down, she asks about Harry.

Somehow, these two will work out what happened in ep 1 and go on together. They're both older and wiser (alot can happen in three years) and I think both remember well their last moments before the boat left. That doesn't go away.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Hopefully they do work it out between the two of them Smile It would be good if they had continued their romance, but I do think that too much has happened for them to pick it up immediately, and depending on how well they make up, forever.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
God, I love this thread! I need a new episode to hash over!

On the issue of Ruth wanting a normal life: see my earlier posts on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. This is something I think that makes Ruth, Ruth - the ongoing drama within her about being a spy and being normal.
06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
(06-11-2009 08:00 PM)JHyde Wrote:  God, I love this thread! I need a new episode to hash over!

On the issue of Ruth wanting a normal life: see my earlier posts on pages 1 and 2 of this thread. This is something I think that makes Ruth, Ruth - the ongoing drama within her about being a spy and being normal.

I agree with you - love the thread, but can't remember what I've written in earlier pages so apologies if I repeat myself Wink

I think that's a problem that you see most of the Spooks facing at some point or another during their stay there - it affects them all. Given the chance, I think that what they all want is to be happy, and the chaotic life on the Grid doesn't give them much chance to lead a fulfilling and happy life in the real world.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 08:12 PM by Beatriz.)
JHyde I've read them before and I agree competely! (love the thread too)

And agree with almh too, they both need time... It's normal after what happened, too much feelings arisen after so long

Edited: I was writing when almh replyed lol

It has to be ver tough to work on the Grid or being a spy, you have to renounced to many things, and sooner or later this affects you

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
06-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Hmm, I think it's highly unlikely that we will see Harry apologise. The reason I think this is that what Harry did - choosing the country's safety over Ruth's family, cost him a lot personally, and if he ever apologised for it this would make it look like he thinks he made a mistake. Harry, I think, needs to believe that he made the right choice, and needs Ruth to accept that this is who Harry is. For Ruth this will be incredibly hard to do, which leaves them in a bit of a catch-22.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
06-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I think he has to though - or at least say sorry that she got involved. Otherwise they're never going to get anywhere. I agree that it was the right decision for Harry not to say where the uranium was, but someone close to Ruth got killed, and she got kidnapped so I think that somewhere along the lines he's got to say sorry, at least for her husband's death.

BTW what on earth is a catch-22???

06-11-2009, 08:15 PM
It's true that Harry did make the right choice but this doesn't mean he can't apologise for the "inconvenience", not for his choice but for the side effects on Ruth's feelings...

Pactum serva
06-11-2009, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2009 08:24 PM by JHyde.)
The conversation would probably run more along the lines of:

I'm so sorry you were hurt.

I really would have died if it meant you didn't lose him, or I could have spared you this.

I know you had another life out there, but there is one here for you if you want it. I've spoken to the Home Secretary. Ruth Evershed will remain dead but Ruth [George's last name] is someone the Service would be proud to employ. And there are people there who care about what happens to you.

Or something like that. I'm tipping this to be the conversation that takes place in front of the Tate Modern...maybe right at the end of episode 2.

almh, catch 22 is a wonderful book written by Joseph Heller that I highly recommend - honestly, it's something I think you'll really enjoy, and definitely a book everyone should read. As to the use of the phrase here, describing something as a catch 22 means that it's an unwinnable situation. Whichever choice you make will get you and everyone else stuffed. I disagree that this was a catch 22 - there was clearly a right choice, it was more like the lesser of 2 very evil evils.