Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7.2 [re-watch]
25-05-2011, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2011 03:21 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: 7.2 [re-watch]
(25-05-2011 01:46 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  This has to be amongst one of my favourite episodes. The interaction between Harry and Lucas foremost but the there are also wonderful scenes between Lucas and Malcolm, Ros and Ben. Ros and Beletsky in the gym changing room, a classic Ros scene. I think PF acting is really excellent, the hurt in Harry's face when Ros tells him Lucas is a double agent, wonderful.

I still don't really understand why Harry let Lucas back in at the end though. Nothing had changed for Lucas except that he proved that he and Harry had the same agenda re: Kachimov. Lucas is still damaged and needy. That is what makes him so fascinating to me. But as Silktie suggests, I don't think Harry is making his decisions from a strictly operational place in this episode. Even he says that he can't trust his own judgement in the bar with Ros.

(25-05-2011 01:46 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I think Lucas wanted to bring Kachimov to Harry by himself to prove to Harry that he was MI5 and could be trusted, but Harry found out first so Lucas had to tell Harry his plan.

OK - I can understand this. Harry does freeze Lucas out in that first debriefing. Esp. after Lucas all but begs to be let back in. But still, seems to me that Lucas could have shared this a bit sooner and not waited until Harry beat him to the punch? I guess this further illustrates the really great tension between the two characters.

(25-05-2011 01:46 PM)HellsBells Wrote:  I still think Harry was wrong to kill Kachimov, as Kachimov was stating the truth about the life he and Harry lead, and maybe Harry could not face that fact.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Harry is very much aware of that fact, but chooses his humanity in that moment. While Harry does not meet Kachimov with the intention of doing it, I think he knows exactly what he is doing. I think that it is a coldly calculated decision made in the moment. For Harry, killing Kachimov is simply retribution not only for Adam but Lucas as well. The look on his face at the shwoop moment as he contemplates the gun is not one of triumph, it is one of regret. He decides to do it and accept the consequences.

Additional thoughts:

I had to giggle in the opening credits. There are snippets of Adam getting blown up, Lucas being mysterious, Ros kicking ass, Jo being resourceful, Malcolm being intelligent, Connie being analytical, Harry being intense and Ben on the phone. That was the best they could do for poor Ben?

Malcolm's reaction to Adams death is interesting. Is he guarding his feelings from Lucas because he doesn't trust him yet or does is he really that numb? Just thinking about one of the on-going theme of Spooks about what the job turns them into.

I love watching Ros' face just before she begins her impersonation of Keith Moon. So much going on! Must have been a fun scene to film. Rock on, Hermoine!

I hate to say it, but Dolby is right to warn Harry to step back and not give into his personal desires in targeting the Russian Operation in London.

The humor is back in S7. I really like that. Ros' quip about her split ends, Lucas' crack about Adam being a horrible driver and taking the only chocolate doughnut, Harry to Malcolm about understanding the science. I esp. love that Neil Cross & Ben Richards gave Harry a topper in that moment with Malcolm, e.g. his Again I ask.... I really missed that aspect and am glad that it is back.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
7.2 [re-watch] - JHyde - 22-05-2011, 06:59 AM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - Kazters - 22-05-2011, 11:45 AM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 23-05-2011, 03:57 PM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - Silktie - 24-05-2011, 06:30 PM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - HellsBells - 25-05-2011, 01:46 PM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 25-05-2011 03:18 PM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - Silktie - 25-05-2011, 04:57 PM
RE: 7.2 [re-watch] - HellsBells - 26-05-2011, 01:40 PM